- WoodmenLife is not your typical insurance company. We're not for profit.
- Fraternal benefit societies like WoodmenLife are unique and are recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(8) charitable organizations because of the good works we do in communities across the country and the help we offer to people, allowing them to get the financial protection they need for their families.
- WoodmenLife was founded in 1890 in Omaha, NE, as a not-for-profit by Joseph Cullen Root. We began with a simple two-part mission: to protect America's families from financial hardship and to provide opportunities to help others in the community.
- WoodmenLife has approximately 1,400 associates in markets throughout the country, including more than 550 associates in the WoodmenLife Tower.
- WoodmenLife offers quality life insurance and retirement products to its nearly 700,000 members across the country. Our members share a commitment to family, community and country.
- WoodmenLife gives back revenues to our members,1 not investors, in the form of refunds2 and benefits.3 We also give back on a local level through chapters that help us lead community service projects.
- Some examples of the types of community programs we engage in:
- We are one of the largest distributors of U.S. flags, behind the U.S. government. More than 3.5 million American flags have been presented to non-profit and community organizations.
- We have a National Community Focus of fighting hunger. Fundraisers and food drives are done throughout the year at the Home Office and through chapters across the country.
- We support eligible grassroots community projects across the country.
- Our chapters support family and community events in their local communities.
- Our members support their local communities by volunteering.
- At the end of 2018, WoodmenLife had total assets of $10.95 billion.4
- As of Dec. 31, 2018, life insurance in force, the amount of life insurance our members own through us, stands at $38.7 billion.
- A.M. Best rated WoodmenLife A+ (Superior) for our financial strength and operating performance in 2018. A.M. Best is an independent rating company nationally recognized for its objective reporting and rating of insurers. A+ (Superior) is the second-highest rating out of 15 awarded.
- For more financial information, visit our Financial Strength page.
Your Representative will prepare a customized plan that best meets your specific needs and budget. Get started by connecting with your Representative.
WEB29 - 4/1/2019