Consumer Rights Privacy Notice Residents of California
We are committed to providing quality products and exceptional service to you. We are just as committed to protecting theprivacy and security of information (referred to as “data”) we collect about you. This notice describes the data we collect,how we use it and how we protect it. If you are a current customer, you should refer to the GLBA Privacy Notice as the terms of that notice govern our privacy practices with respect to our customers. If you are a member of one of our healthrelated insurance plans, you should also refer to our HIPAA Privacy Notice. If you are visually impaired, you may access this notice through audio readers on our website.
1. Use of Information
We collect and use your data to:
- Identify you when you visit our website.
- Evaluate your request for our insurance or other products or services.
- Administer and market our products or services.
- Improve our services and product offerings.
- Streamline processes.
- Conduct analytics.
- Respond to inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, or other requests.
- Send marketing and promotional materials, including information relating to our products or services.
2. What Data We Collect
The following provides examples of the type of information that we collect from you and how we use that information.
|Context||Types of Data||Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data|
|Requesting a Quote||We collect your name and contact information when you request a quote.||We use this information to provide quotes for the products and services that we provide.|
|Cookies and Third Party Tracking||We participate in behavior-based advertising, this means that a third party uses technology (e.g., a cookie) to collect information about your use of our website so that they can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interests on our website, or on other websites.||We use this information to provide advertising of products and services tailored to your interests. We do not currently recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “Do Not Track“ instructions.|
|Email Interconnectivity||If you receive email from us, we use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message, click on any links or banners it contains and make purchases.||We use this information to understand how you interact with our communications to you.|
|Employment||If you apply for a job posting, or become an employee, we collect information necessary to process your application or to hire you as an employee. This may include, among other things, your Social Security Number. Providing this information is required for employment. Employees that join our self-funded insurance plan will be provided with a separate notice concerning the privacy practices that apply to that plan.||We use information about current employees to carry out our payment and benefits obligations. In some contexts, we are also required by law to collect information about our employees. We also use this information to have efficient staffing and work force operations.|
|Feedback/Support||If you provide us feedback or contact us for support we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content that you send to us, in order to reply.||We use this information to receive, and act upon, your feedback or issues.|
|Mailing List||When you sign up for one of our mailing lists we collect your email address or postal address.||We use this information to provide products and services to individuals who consent to receive such information. We also use this information to share information about our products or services.|
|Mobile Devices||We collect information from your mobile device such as unique identifying information broadcast from your device when visiting our website or when visiting one of our stores.||We use this information to identify unique visitors, and understand how users interact with us on their mobile devices.|
|Sales Representatives||We collect information about our sales representatives including their contact information, financial account information, Social Security Number, and performance related information.||We use this information to maintain and manage relationships with sales representatives, and perform our contractual obligations to them.|
|Surveys||When you participate in a survey we collect information that you provide through the survey. If the survey is provided by a third party service provider, the third party's rivacy notice applies to the collection, use, and disclosure of your information.||We use this information to understand your opinions, and collect information relevant to our organization.|
|Service Providers and Vendors||Our service providers may provide us with personal information about their employees to enable us to interact with them.||We use this information in connection with contracts we have with these service providers, and have a legitimate interest to contact service provider employees in order to obtain services.|
|Website Interactions||We use technology to monitor how you interact with our website. This may include which links you click on, or information that you type into our online forms.||We use this information to understand how you interact with our website to better improve it, and to understand your preferences and interests in order to select offerings that you might find most useful.|
|Web Logs||We collect information, including your browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to a computer when the Internet is used), domain name, click-activity, referring website, and/or a date/time stamp for visitors.||We use this information to monitor our networks and the visitors to our websites. Among other things, it helps us understand which of our services is the most popular.|
In addition to the information that we collect from you directly, we may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, business partners, our affiliates, or publicly available sources. For example, if you submit a job application, or become an employee, we may conduct a background check.
3. Safety of Your Data
We protect your data using reasonable and appropriate security measures. However, no electronic data is ever 100% secure. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal information we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
4. Data Disclosure and Sharing
- We may disclose data when it is necessary to conduct our business, or as permitted or required by law. For example, we may disclose data about you to business partners in order to complete necessary business transactions on your application, account or contract. We may also disclose data in order to comply with legal requirements such as tax reporting or in response to subpoenas. We will also disclose data to regulatory or law enforcement agencies.
- We may also disclose data for audit or research purposes and to consumer reporting agencies. We also disclose data to protect against fraud, verify your identity, or maintain the security of our networks or systems. We also disclose data to our fraternal operations so that you will receive the benefits of fraternal membership.
- We may also disclose data about you to others that perform business services for us. For example companies with whom we contract to mail information to you.
- We may also provide data about you, other than consumer report or health data, to our affiliates including for marketing purposes. We may also disclose data to others that assist us in offering our products and services to you.
- We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy.
- If another company acquires, or plans to acquire, our company, business, or our assets, we will share information with that company, including at the negotiation stage.
California Information Sharing Disclosure
California Civil Code 1798.115(c), 1798.130(a)(5)(c), 1798.130(c), and 1798.140 indicates that organizations should disclose whether certain categories of information are “sold” or transferred for an organization’s “business purpose” as those terms are defined under California law. We do not “sell” your personal information. You can find a list of the categories of information that we share below. Please note that because this list is comprehensive it may refer to types of information that we share about people other than yourself. If you would like more information concerning the categories of personal information (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for those parties to use for direct marketing please submit a written request to us using the information in the “Contact Us” section below.
|Categories of Personal Information That We Collect||Categories of Third Parties to Whom We Disclose Personal Information for Business Purpose|
|Identifiers — such as name, postal address, phone number, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol (IP) address, device ID, email address, account name, signature, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||
|Financial information — such as bank account number, credit or debit card number, or other financial information.||
|Medical / health insurance information — such as information from a healthcare provider regarding an individual’s medical history, mental or physical condition, or treatment; an individual’s insurance policy number or subscriber identification number, any unique identifier used by a health insurer to identify the individual, or any information in the individual’s application and claims history.||
|Protected characteristics — such as race, gender, physical or mental disability, and religion||
|Commercial information — such as information about products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||
|Network activity data — internet or other electronic network activity information, such as browsing history, search history, and information regarding an individual’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.||
|Biometric information — such as fingerprint, face print or voice print.||
|Geolocation data — such as precise physical location.||
|Electronic and sensory data — such as audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information (e.g., pictures, a recording of a customer service call, security video surveillance footage).||
|Professional/employment information — such as occupation and professional references.||
|Education information — such as information contained in education records.||
|Inferences — drawn from any of the information listed above to create a profile||
5. Access To, Deletion, and Correction of Data
- You may request access to your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that we have about you.
- If you notify us that the data is incorrect, we will review it. If we agree, we will correct our records. If we do not agree, you may submit a short statement of dispute, which we will include in any future disclosure of data.
- You may also request that we delete any information we have about you, which we will honor if required to by applicable law.
We do not discriminate against individuals who submit requests related to their data. For more information on how to access or correct your information please contact us using the information below.
Note that, as required by law, we will require you to prove your identity. We require account holders to verify their identity using our normal authentication procedures. For non-account holders, we will request information such as your name, mailing address, and email address. In the event there are any discrepancies, we may solicit additional information as necessary to ensure the security of your personal information. Following a request, we will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you in our files.
In some circumstances, you may designate an authorized agent to submit requests to exercise certain privacy rights on your behalf. We will require verification that you provided the authorized agent permission to make a request on your behalf. You must provide us with a copy of the signed permission you have given to the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf and verify your own identity directly with us.
Information for Authorized Agents
If you are an authorized agent submitting a request on behalf of an individual you must attach a copy of the following information to the request:
- A signed and notarized permission from the consumer indicating that you have authorization to act on the consumer’s behalf.
- If you are a business, proof that you are registered with the Secretary of State to conduct business in California.
- If you are an authorized agent relying on a power of attorney or guardianship/conservatorship, please contact us directly (see: Contact Us) for instructions to make a request.
6. Contact Us
We reserve the right to change our practices or procedures after providing you proper notice. For additional information regarding our privacy notice, contact us using the following information.
Online: Visit WoodmenLife.org and select “Privacy Requests” located at the bottom of the page.
Toll free telephone number: 800-542-9756
Mailing address:WoodmenLife Attn: CCPA 1700 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68102 Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Society, Omaha NE
Effective Date: January 1, 2020 Last Revised Date: July 1, 2020
WEB113 - 7/2020